Saturday, December 13, 2014

Pulmonary Embolus: See the echo, and believe the ECG!


Too many people are nihilistic about studying the ECG for signs of PE, and believe that the ECG is too non-specific to play a role. In particular, two beliefs stick in my craw:

“The most common sign of PE on the ECG is tachycardia”
This is not necessarily true. For example, Ferrari found that TWI in V1-V4 was far more common in PE (68% of patients) than was sinus tachycardia (only 36%). Likewise, the average heart rate in Kosuge’s 2007 study was only 94!

“PE = S1Q3T3
S1Q3T3 can be very specific for PE, and is helpful to note. But it isn’t the only thing to look for on the ECG, and the poor sensitivity of this sign could mean missing a PE. Kosuge has found that only 20-22% of PE patients had an S1Q3T3, while the TWI in leads III and V1 was far more sensitive.

The Case
An 80-something year old male was brought to the ED by EMS, feeling weak. 

He said that this had been going on for about a week, and was getting worse. Only when directly queried did he admit to orthostasis, and in fact had syncoped while shopping the day prior. He denied any chest pain, but endorsed some mild dyspnea.

He had a history of CAD, PCI, and a remote history of a PE. His memory and the records were vague on this last point, and he was not on anticoagulation.

His vitals and exam were unremarkable. Since this could have been ACS, or even mild CHF, a troponin and BNP were ordered.

The ECGs
An ECG was immediately obtained:
The baseline wanders, but there is a clear S1Q3T3. Furthermore, there is T wave
inversion (TWI) in the anterior leads, from V1 to V5,. These findings suggest RV strain

Kosuge showed in 2007 that, in patients with anterior TWI and symptoms suggestive of either ACS or PE, TWI in both leads III and V1 strongly favored PE over ACS.1 

A recent update from Kosuge confirms and extends those results, demonstrating that TWI in both leads III and V1 and/or peak TWI in leads V1 or V2 was extremely sensitive and specific for PE (versus ACS due to LAD occlusion).2

So, the ECG proves it, right? Unfortunately, when the emergencu physician reviewed the ECG from 5 months prior...

An arguable S1Q3T3, and TWI in III and V1-V4.
… and from 7 years prior...

'Bout the same.
... it seemed like the ECG findings were, perhaps, simply chronic. Well, when in doubt, break out the ultrasound!

The Echos
Parasternal long-axis

There is a dilated and hypokinetic RV, while the anterior wall contracts nicely.

Parasternal short axis

Septal bowing, or D-shaped septum (“Movahed’s sign?”)

Apical 4-chamber

Markedly dilated, hypokinetic RV free wall, with preserved apical contractility
(a.k.a. McConnell’s sign)

Triscuspid valve – color Doppler

Moderate regurgitation,  max velocity 5 m/s by CW Doppler, indicating very high pulmonary artery pressure

Clinical course
Given the patient’s CKD, and the stable hemodynamic status, unfractionated heparin was started, and the patient was admitted. A V/Q scan the following day confirmed an acute PE, apparently with significant chronic emboli as well! Anticoagulation was bridged to oral therapy, and the patient was discharged back home.

Bottom line:
The ECG can be very helpful is suggesting PE. Many physicians are nihilistic about studying the ECG for signs of PE, and believe that the ECG is too non-specific to play a role. 

In particular, two elements of the conventional wisdom are often uttered without considering the evidence:

“The most common sign of PE on the ECG is tachycardia”
This is not necessarily true. For example, Ferrari found that TWI in V1-V4 was far more common in PE (68% of patients) than was sinus tachycardia (only 36%).3 Likewise, the average heart rate in Kosuge’s study was only 94!

“No S1Q3T3 = no signs of PE”
S1Q3T3 can be very specific for PE, and is helpful to note. But it isn’t the only thing to look for on the ECG, and the poor sensitivity of this sign could mean missing a PE. Kosuge found that only 20-22% of PE patients had a PE,1,2 while the TWI in leads III and V1 was far more sensitive.

Perhaps the ECG isn’t completely sensitive for picking up every tiny sub-segmental embol-ette.  Remember, though, that the ECG isn’t that sensitive for picking up every little troponin leak either! But the ECG is darn good for picking up the STEMI patient that needs emergent therapy, and the analogy with PE is likely true as well – the ECG will suggest the diagnosis in patients who are at high risk from large PEs.





1.         Kosuge M, Kimura K, Ishikawa T, et al. Electrocardiographic Differentiation Between Acute Pulmonary Embolism and Acute Coronary Syndromes on the Basis of Negative T Waves. Am J Cardiol. 2007;99(6):817-821. doi:10.1016/j.amjcard.2006.10.043.
2.         Kosuge M, Ebina T, Hibi K, et al. Differences in negative T waves between acute pulmonary embolism and acute coronary syndrome. Circ J Off J Jpn Circ Soc. 2014;78(2):483-489.
3.         Ferrari E, Imbert A, Chevalier T, Mihoubi A, Morand P, Baudouy M. The ecg in pulmonary embolism : Predictive value of negative t waves in precordial leads—80 case reports. Chest. 1997;111(3):537-543. doi:10.1378/chest.111.3.537.

12 comments:

  1. (http://bit.ly/2ikhsAN):Symptoms of blood clots in legs (deep vein thrombosis (DVT) are pain, redness, and swelling.
    Symptoms of an arterial blood clot in the leg are painful and the leg is cool and pale.
    Symptoms of blood clots in the lung (pulmonary embolus) are chest pain, shortness of breath, and rapid pulse and breathing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found out, that taking herbal treatment is the best to get rid of hpv as soon as i feel the symptoms of hpv is appearing, i took the healing process by contacting Dr OYAGU for natural treatment it works wonders, amazingly ever since I had the herbal treatment i have not feel these horrible disease anymore and my doc told me the virus is gone, i am glad i finally got cured out from this horrible disease. every hpv or herpes patients should also get in touch with this herbalist Dr to get ride of these disease forever his email.Oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com or Whatsapp him via +234810175532

      Delete
    2. Do anyone still doubt natural herbs? I've seen the great importance of natural herbs and the wonderful work they have done in people's lives. I wonder why people still spend their money on injections and drugs each time they are sick. Natural herbs can cure all kinds of illness including herpes, diabetes, asthma, HIV, HSV1&2, hepatitis, HPV etc. I've seen it with my own eyes. I was cured from Herpes and HPV and my aunt and her husband were cured from Hiv too by DR. Chukwu madu herbs. He uses natural herbs to cure different kind of virus. Dr. CHUKWU,prove to the world that natural herbs can cure all illness and he cured countless people using herbs. I know is hard to believe but am a living testimony. I was diagnose of Herpes and HPV in 2016 and i believe there is cure even when the doctors said there is no cure yet. I strongly believe in herbs and i came across a comment on a blog written by Lisa Pierre, saying she was cured from HERPES by Dr. CHUKWU MADU and i contacted his herbal hom on the email that was provided on the comment and order one for myself and he send it to me through UPS and gave me instructions on how to use it and after i finish taken it i went for checkup and the result shows am Herpes and HPV NEGATIVE. The doctor said that the virus is completely gone from my body. There is no harm trying herbs it work perfectly and it has no effect. You can contact Dr. CHUKWU MADU to get yours.. His email is dr.chukwumaduherbalhome@gmail.com.
      WhatsApp +2347030936239.

      Delete
    3. I want to thank Dr Emu a very powerful spell caster who help me to bring my husband back to me, few month ago i have a serious problem with my husband, to the extend that he left the house, and he started dating another woman and he stayed with the woman, i tried all i can to bring him back, but all my effort was useless until the day my friend came to my house and i told her every thing that had happened between me and my husband, then she told me of a powerful spell caster who help her when she was in the same problem I then contact Dr Emu and told him every thing and he told me not to worry my self again that my husband will come back to me after he has cast a spell on him, i thought it was a joke, after he had finish casting the spell, he told me that he had just finish casting the spell, to my greatest surprise within 48 hours, my husband really came back begging me to forgive him, if you need his help you can contact him with via email: Emutemple@gmail.com or add him up on his whatsapp +2347012841542 is willing to help any body that need his help.

      Delete
  2. (http://bit.ly/2h9Qmt2):Deep vein thrombosis (DVT) occurs when a blood clot forms in one of the deep veins of your body,
    usually in your legs, but sometimes in your arm. The signs and symptoms of a DVT include: Swelling,
    usually in one leg

    ReplyDelete
  3. For years, I have read and seen the advertisements in the mass media about all of the penis enhancement pills and thought that they were all scams or gimmicks. All of the medical sites that I have visited stated that none of the herbal supplements would ever help increase the size of a penis. I got very depressed when I read this, because unfortunately I was not naturally blessed with a penis that was big enough to arouse my sexual partner or past partners. I am a man that is past my sexual primetime and my sexual performance has a lot to be desired. I decided to try Doctoc Akhigbe herbal medicine after all the reading and researching that I have done.I saw a testimony " Joe" about doctror Akhigbe Herbal Medicine Since there is a Money Back Guarantee, I give him a trial what did I have to lose? I couldn't believe the results I was seeing after drinking the Natural  Herbal Medicine  and Herbal Soap to be rubign my penis! he sent to me through DHL courier delivery service . Within about 2 weeks I had a noticeable increase in the girth of my penis. Then after a coupleof aditional week it started to grow in length and I was amazed and very excited.before I finish the drink and the soap my penis had grown an additional two inches. I've had a considerable improvement with my sex life and these pills are certainly worth every penny I spent on them! I want to thank Dr Akhigbe for the time and effort they have spent on helping people in my situation.I know many are out there who are suffering this problem and they need help, email him.    drrealakhigbe@gmail.com.    He also cure other diseases like: . HIV/ AIDS. JOINT PAIN, BREAST ENLARGEMENT. DIABETIES.  HERPES. AUTISM . NO PRIOD.  CHRONIC DISEASES. LUPUS . MALE AND FEMALE FERTILITY. WAST & BACK PAIN. CANCER . DISCHARGE FROM BREAST PAIN, BREAST INFECTION. PARKINSON DISEASES.  WOMEN SEXUAL PROBLEM.  VAGINAL INFECTION. IRREGULAR MENSTRATION , PAIN & ITCHING, TOXOPLASMOSIS,  . LOWER ABDOMINAL PAIN PAIN DURING SEX INSIDE THE PELVIC . PREMATURE EJACULATION.  PAIN DURING URINATION. PELVIC INFLAMATORY DISEASES , VAGINAL DISCHARGE. (PID). PULMONARY FIBROSIS, DRIPPING OF SPERM FROM THE VAGINAL AS WELL AS FOR LOW SPERM COUNT. DENGUE, TUBERCULOSIS. CIRRHOSIS .    ITCHING OF THE PRIVATE PART. ZERO SPERM COUNT.  ASTHMA.  . ,  EJACULATION. WEAK ERECTION. ERYSIPELAS, DISCHARGE FROM PENIS . HPV. QUICK EJACULATION. HEPATITIS A & B. STD. STAPHYLOCOCCUS + GONORRHEA + SYPHILIS. HEART DISEASE.  PILE-HEMORRHOID. HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE. RHIUMATISM, THYROID, PENIS ENLARGEMENT  .   For your cure email him now:   drrealakhigbe@gmail.com    or Contact his numbe:  +2349010754824.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found out, that taking herbal treatment is the best to get rid of hpv as soon as i feel the symptoms of hpv is appearing, i took the healing process by contacting Dr OYAGU for natural treatment it works wonders, amazingly ever since I had the herbal treatment i have not feel these horrible disease anymore and my doc told me the virus is gone, i am glad i finally got cured out from this horrible disease. every hpv or herpes patients should also get in touch with this herbalist Dr to get ride of these disease forever his email.Oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com or Whatsapp him via +234810175532

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found out, that taking herbal treatment is the best to get rid of hpv as soon as i feel the symptoms of hpv is appearing, i took the healing process by contacting Dr OYAGU for natural treatment it works wonders, amazingly ever since I had the herbal treatment i have not feel these horrible disease anymore and my doc told me the virus is gone, i am glad i finally got cured out from this horrible disease. every hpv or herpes patients should also get in touch with this herbalist Dr to get ride of these disease forever his email.Oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com or Whatsapp him via +234810175532

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been suffering from (HERPES) Infection for the last 3 years and had several outbreaks as well as constant pain, especially in my knees. During the first year, I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.This disease started circulating all over my body and i have been taking treatment from my doctor, July 7 2019, i was searching on the internet if i could get any information concerning the prevention of this disease, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from HERPES SIMPLEX-2 by this Man Dr Razor and she also gave the email address of this man, urged Researchers to visit his website : https://drrazorherbalhome.wixsite.com/drrazorherbalhome  and advise we should contact him for any sickness that he could be of help, So i wrote to Doctor Razor telling him about my (HERPES Virus) he told me not to worry that i was going to be cured!! hmm i never believed it, well after all the procedures and remedy given to me by this man, He gave me instruction to take it for 18 days, later on i started experiencing changes all over me as the Dr have earlier assured me. After The said 18 days, I went to my doctor to confirm if i have be finally healed behold it was TRUE, I was still very doubtful because i have heard that the virus is capable of hiding in the body undetected, i waited till this year 2020 before going for another medical test and it was still Negative. So friends my advise is if you have such sickness or any other at all, you can email Dr Razor on Email: drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com Sir i am indeed grateful for the help, i will forever recommend you to my friends!!! Whatsapp/Call this Herbalist Via +2349065420442

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do anyone still doubt natural herbs? I've seen the great importance of natural herbs and the wonderful work they have done in people's lives. I wonder why people still spend their money on injections and drugs each time they are sick. Natural herbs can cure all kinds of illness including herpes, diabetes, asthma, HIV, HSV1&2, hepatitis, HPV etc. I've seen it with my own eyes. I was cured from Herpes and HPV and my aunt and her husband were cured from Hiv too by DR. Chukwu madu herbs. He uses natural herbs to cure different kind of virus. Dr. CHUKWU,prove to the world that natural herbs can cure all illness and he cured countless people using herbs. I know is hard to believe but am a living testimony. I was diagnose of Herpes and HPV in 2016 and i believe there is cure even when the doctors said there is no cure yet. I strongly believe in herbs and i came across a comment on a blog written by Lisa Pierre, saying she was cured from HERPES by Dr. CHUKWU MADU and i contacted his herbal hom on the email that was provided on the comment and order one for myself and he send it to me through UPS and gave me instructions on how to use it and after i finish taken it i went for checkup and the result shows am Herpes and HPV NEGATIVE. The doctor said that the virus is completely gone from my body. There is no harm trying herbs it work perfectly and it has no effect. You can contact Dr. CHUKWU MADU to get yours.. His email is dr.chukwumaduherbalhome@gmail.com.
    WhatsApp +2347030936239.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I’d recommend using Dr. Utu Herbal Cure topically for instant pain and itch relief as well as accelerated healing of lesions and permanently stopping oral and genital herpes virus outbreaks. I have tried just about everything from acyclovir suppressive therapy to different natural oils, extracts, and other natural methods, some of which are EXTREMELY painful and exacerbate the problem (i.e. apple cider vinegar!). While vitamin E oil and suppressive therapy worked well for me, when I became pregnant I went back to trying to find a herbal cure. I was using vitamin E oil topically for a while but it was thin and difficult to use and only seemed to prevent further outbreaks rather than getting rid of it. I contacted Dr. Utu Herbal Cure through my friend. To my surprise, I could tell my outbreak was starting to heal within only a few hours! No more itching or pain! Dr. Utu Herbal Cure that I used was liquid herbs in jars, so it was very easy to use. It simply whiffs, but it works so I don’t care! The best part of my testimony was that I successfully delivered a herpes-free beautiful daughter without further medications. Anyone who has tried Dr. Utu Herbal Cure knows just how quickly those treatments can add up. So give it a try! Anyone can reach Dr. Utu through
    drutuherbalcure@gmail.com
    +2349072733661

    ReplyDelete